Business Banking Executive – Leadership Team
A seasoned Banking Leader with extensive experience and proven success in line of business management, sales leadership, strategic planning and employee development. A record of delivering financial results above target plan for 20 years through building and leading teams, influencing across the enterprise and contributing as a member of Executive Management. As the Head of Business Banking for the organization demonstrated the ability to create, collaborate and execute strategy across 16 affiliate banks by designing the line of business organizational structure with 100% accountability for the financial performance and operating risk of the business unit in a matrix management organization.
Regional Bank, 1990 – 2013
Senior Vice President, Business Banking, 2011 - 2013
Executive Management Team - Central Ohio
- Reengineered an underperforming business unit to achieve profitability targets within 9 months while implementing sustainable operating rhythms and rightsizing the staffing to market opportunity.
- Achieved revenue and profit plan in 2011, 2012 and 2013.
- Created a 3 year strategic plan to grow the business unit to $10 million in net revenue with year 2 revenue at 139% of goal.
- Improved the credit quality of the $260 million loan portfolio through disciplined and market competitive structuring with zero net chargeoff’s in 2013 and watch credits reducing 38% to 10.9%.
- Introduced monthly individualized banker operation reviews inspecting calling effectiveness on customers, prospects and market professionals while strategizing the next step in the sales cycle on key opportunities. Results include a 134% increase in banker performance along with incremental business referred and closed to other line partners, ranked 1st out of 16 markets in 2013.
- Employee engagement enhancements included a personal development and business plan for each employee to ensure they had the capability and confidence to deliver holistic conversations with business owners. The impact was 100% retention of all top quartile rated employees.
- Developed and introduced a sales mentoring program for 16 high potential retail regionals and financial center managers that included roundtable discussions, education and joint calling.
- Improved the fee to revenue ratio of the business unit to 43% from 28% by ensuring the bankers and business specialists worked in collaboration and were recommending the appropriate product and services including mezzanine, treasury management, private banking and wealth planning.
- Reduced attrition to 4% from 15% by assessing the needs of each assigned customer and established a calling roadmap with business partners for each relationship.
- Doubled the loan and new relationship productivity of the business unit through improving the quality of conversations with customers, joint calling and detailed relationship reviews on the top 100 clients.
- Consecutive years of positive operating leverage by growing revenue and pruning expenses where appropriate.
Senior Vice President, Head of Business Banking, 2008 - 2011
Executive Management Committee - Bancorp
- Promoted to and as a member of the 30 person Management Committee consisting of the President and CEO, Executive Vice Presidents, Regional Presidents and Line of Business Heads, provided the leadership and strategic direction for the Business Banking line within the $115 billion organization and 20,000 employees.
- Created and formalized the 3 year strategy and focus in Business Banking for companies $3 million up to $20 million in annual revenue to drive growth and profitability for the segment including the presentment and unanimous approval by the Bancorp Board of Directors.
- Matrix managed 16 Business Banking Executives and 350 bankers working in tandem with Regional and Market Presidents surpassing $200 million in revenue, $43 million in service income and a positive variance in expense targets.
- Achieved the goal of becoming a self-funding business by generating $223 million in new demand deposit dollars providing a 108% deposit to loan ratio with the $3.4 billion loan outstanding portfolio.
- Increased and aligned resources to optimize the value of the SBA government sponsored program in all markets surpassing the revenue plan by $3.5 million and improving the national ranking to 22 from 41.
- Presented recommendations to the Credit Policy Committee through partnering with the credit organization to establish a prohibited, high risk and preferred industry focus achieving above plan risk based margin hurdles for assets while remaining market competitive.
- Established Business Banking as a distinct line of business, secured additional investment dollars to grow the segment and increased the revenue contribution to the organization. Introduced minimum competencies required for each job family and supported all sales resources by investing in sales and credit training programs in addition to a defined team lead development track.
- Placed the customer experience to the forefront of Business Banking enhancing the tools for the bankers including a new business banking resource center, enhancing the bank’s website and placing resources to benefit the credit process resulting in improved cross sell and customer retention.
- J.D. Power Small Business Banking Satisfaction Study ranked Company 13 up from 24.
Senior Vice President, Business Banking, 2005 - 2008
Executive Management Team – Chicago
- In 2006 and 2007 named Business Banking Executive of the year within the Bank achieving above plan revenue and net income through the management of six direct reports and 80 bankers while delivering positive credit quality trends within the $350 million portfolio. Promoted to Executive Management Team.
Senior Vice President, 2000 – 2005
Commercial Services Group - Chicago
- Responsible for a diverse group of business lines including International, Financial Institutions, Public Funds, Commercial Leasing, Merchant Processing, Large Corporate and Treasury Management.
- Managed and led a team of 7 direct reports and 115 total employees. Represented the bank on five international trips including Japan, China and Germany resulting in new client relationships.
- Achieved profit plan five consecutive years growing net income to $22 million.
EDUCATION / PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- Xavier University
- MBA Williams College of Business
- Xavier University
- BSBA, Alpha Sigma Nu